That after 12 days of peaceful demonstrations throughout the national territory, a meeting was held with the President of the Republic, Alejandro Giammattei, with the mediation of the Organization of American States (OAS), in which the demands of the people were presented.
That the results of the first meeting demonstrated a lack of political will on the part of the President of the Republic by stating that he does not have the authority to ask for the resignation of the Attorney General of the Public Ministry, Consuelo Porras, nor of the Prosecutor Rafael Curruchiche, the prosecutor Cinthya Monterroso, and Judge Fredy Orellana.
We know very well that these four officials are the main guarantors of impunity and corruption in Guatemala, we do not trust their actions, for ethical reasons they should resign, and the President of the Republic not only has the political authority to ask for their resignation, but also has the duty to denounce them for the constitutional breach they have provoked.
In view of all these facts and in view of the consultations made with the peoples whom we represent,
- That we did not negotiate any “truce*, nor have we renounced our objectives, for which reason we remain firm in the struggle.
- That we will continue in peaceful demonstrations throughout our territories, streets, avenues, highways and night watches, convinced that we are in legitimate resistance in defense of democracy.
- We call on all people who want to unite and mobilize in the capital city to exercise our right to demonstrate in a peaceful manner.
- We ask the Constitutional Court to resolve the unconstitutionality presented against Article 14 of the Organic Law of the Public Ministry.
- That the Supreme Court of Justice dismiss Judge Fredy Orellana for having violated the constitution with his resolutions;
- That any State of Exception is unacceptable during an electoral process;
- That the Supreme Electoral Tribunal issue the corresponding sanctions to the officials who acted against the electoral process;
- That the President of the Republic assume his political responsibility and ask the Attorney General of the Republic, Consuelo Porras, for her resignation.
Guatemala, October 13, 2023